Assistive Technology ♦ Cognitive Rehabilitation Plans ♦ Pre-Vocational Training ♦ Responsible Computer Usage Personalized Training ♦ Technology Purchase & Setup
Assistive Technology focuses on cutting edge technologies that link individuals with disabilities to computer work and educational opportunities. CRC provides a wide range of assistive technology products and services which include:
· Voice activated software programs and alternative access devices that allow hands-free technology manipulation.
· Hands-free technology: utilization of eye and/or head movement in place of a pointing device.
· Text to speech application and software training.
· Home Automation: manipulation of home environment through voice activation.
· Rehabilitation engineering assessment of technology and communication needs.
· Training for a wide range of software applications.
· Training for greater independence with community based technology.
· New age technology (hardware and software) usage and training for the visually impaired.
· Technology use, improved communication skills, community mobility, and organization of daily routine.
· CRC consults with client and treatment teams regarding work station design and implementation.
COGNITIVE REHABILITATION PLANS
The experienced professionals at CRC work closely with physicians, guardians, case managers and therapists to coordinate services. Cognitive technology rehabilitation plans are developed by CRC and shared with the client and treatment team. These plans emphasize accountability and realistic goals. Assignments are given after every training session for completion prior to the next session.
Assistive technology may also used by persons without disabilities, such as personal digital assistance, global positioning systems and smart phones can be made available to improve independent mobility, organizational and communication skills. CRC provides maintenance programs after planned goals have been achieved. Visits and email correspondence every four to six weeks helps individuals to problem solve issues that may occur with computer/device usage.
CRC provides computer training to meet pre-vocational computer skill goals to prepare for employment in the community. Individuals with brain injuries have some degree of cognitive and new learning deficits and learn best with one on one training with trainers that are familiar with brain injury. Skills gained through this training can give a sense of accomplishment to these individuals. Training on specific software programs for use in school/college is also available for individuals, of all ages, who need it.
Persons with incomplete or complete spinal cord injuries have fine motor deficits. They require alternative access options to use a computer. New technology is being developed on a regular basis that can enhance independence. CRC makes every effort to keep up on new devices that can assist an individual’s ability to function in the community.
RESPONSIBLE TECHNOLOGY USAGE
CRC can provide remote monitoring of internet usage for individuals with brain injury who are impulsive and vulnerable to web based scams. Each client is taught how to use software that blocks viruses, spyware, etc. Depending upon their abilities we teach general computer maintenance.
CRC provides on-site technology training and our independent contractors provide tailored training services in all major and specialized desktop applications. Training is available at the client’s home and meeting times can be scheduled to accommodate the client’s needs.
TECHNOLOGY PURCHASE & SETUP
CRC will assist with purchase, setup and training of the technology system and personalize the system to the client’s specific needs, both at home and at the work site.